Saturday, February 2, 2013

Seafood Guacamole w/ Baked Tortilla Chips


If you're looking for some last minute inspiration for your Super Bowl Party, I've got a few ideas for you! First there's my Seafood Guacamole. This Guacamole is so good that I would be bold enough to say that it will be the best guacamole you've ever had.  When I made it for my family last Thanksgiving, it literally disappeared.  Plus lots of people were asking for the recipe and a couple people even offered to pay me to make it for their next party!  It's THAT GOOD!  But if you're not a seafood fan, or you're allergic, here's my standard Guacamole Recipe. I posted it on here this time last year and it's always good.  But back to the Seafood version.  It was so out of this world that I had to submit the recipe to Ebony.com. 

Click the here for the recipe: Seafood Guacamole

Now I didn't just want to send you guys over to Ebony.com without giving you at least one other idea for Super Bowl, so I decided to post the recipe for Baked Tortilla Chips (pictured right). Now I know what you're thinking. Probably the same thing I was... baked tortilla chips?? I was skeptical at first too but my friend Melissa showed me how to make these and after a lot of mumbling and whining she finally shouted: "April! You will like these! Just trust me!" I was visiting her in NYC, it was after hours and I was starving so I reluctantly trusted her and discovered these chips were REALLY good! Soon all the chips were gone and the next thing I knew I was in the kitchen with Melissa helping her make another batch.

I figured out quickly why these Baked Tortilla Chips were Melissa's favorite snack; they're easy and fun to make. I recommend making these tomorrow if you have kids or are expecting some to be at your Super Bowl Party. Melissa is a Kindergarten teacher and she told me later that this recipe was given to her at school and she made them with her students.  So you can put the little guys to work and they will have a lot of fun! But even if you don't have kids, these chips are still fun to make.  When I made them, I felt like a kid but I still managed to give them an adult edge with some black salt I bought from The Filling Station in Chelsea Market during that same NYC trip.  

So do something a bit different this Super Bowl and instead of buying tortilla chips, make these! Oh and did I mention they are healthy(er) than the fried variety??  I know it's Super Bowl so no one really cares but I thought I'd throw that in there anyway :-)
Baked Tortilla Chips

Ingredients:
1 package Flour Tortillas (6" works best)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (about 1/4 cup)
Kosher Salt (or any artisan salt you may have on hand)
Directions: (They're so simple!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place half the stack of tortillas on your cutting board.  Then cut the rounds into quarters by cutting in half horizontally and then again vertically.  Arrange the quarters in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet. (You may have to do multiple batches)

Pour a little olive oil into a small bowl and brush both sides of each chip with the oil.  Then sprinkle one side with salt, so that each chip gets a few crystals and pop the chips into the oven.  Bake for about 3-4 minutes, flip the chips over and bake for 3-4 minutes more.  You're looking for a golden brown color.

When done, remove the chips from the oven, transfer to a bowl and serve alone or with your favorite dip.  Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas.  Any leftovers can be kept fresh in ziploc bags.






No comments:

Post a Comment