Saturday, June 8, 2013

Panko Crusted Salmon w/ Roasted Red Potatoes



It’s very rare that I experiment in the kitchen and get it right on the first try.  But this meal...I went in the kitchen with a vision and managed to create one of the best dinners I’ve made in a while.  So I had to share this with you guys!

I was inspired to make this meal when a Chef that I follow on Instagram posted a picture of a Panko Crusted Salmon that was on the menu at his resturant.  It looked oh so beautiful to me!  And even though the panko on his salmon looked golden and delicious, it also looked kind of plain.  So when I decided to recreate his dish, I knew I wanted to season the bread crumbs with plenty of fresh herbs. 

I also wanted to make roasted potatoes for a side and I thought about using a lipton onion soup packet that I had on hand.  This is what my Mom always used but when I looked at the nutritional information and saw the massive amounts of sodium, I decided to season the potatoes myself.  I used pretty much the same ingredients I was using in the salmon and everything came out perfect.

Though I must say that this salmon doesn’t really re-heat well.  L Yes, this kills me, because I cook for leftovers, but I still have to recommend you make this because it’s that good.  And it’s a lovely new way to enjoy Salmon.  I loved how the panko gave everything on my plate a crunch.  In fact, I would serve mashed potatoes with this next time but my roasted baby reds were so yummy I wanted to throw that recipe out there for now.  Plus, I mentioned in my weeknight cooking tips, how much I enjoy throwing everything in the oven, and this meal does exactly that, and is ready in no time.

One last thing! For the experienced cooks: I try to give exact measurements on this blog, but you don’t have to measure the seasonings in this dinner.  When I was making it, I put “a little bit of this and a little bit of that,” tasted constantly and I encourage you to do the same.  Enjoy!

Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
For the Fish:
1 ½ lb. Salmon Filet, cut into 4 portions
1 tbs. Butter
1 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
½ tsp. Garlic Powder
½ tsp. Paprika
½ Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1 tbsp. Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 tbsp. Thyme Leaves
1 tbsp. Rosemary, chopped
(Note: I put all the fresh herbs in a pile and run my knife through all of it but technically the thyme leaves could stay whole.)

For the Potatoes:
3 cups baby red potatoes, sliced in ½
3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. Rosemary, chopped
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. paprika

Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with foil and spray one lightly with non-stick cooking spray.  Cut the baby red potatoes in half and toss onto the non-greased pan.  Then in a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave add in the salt, pepper, rosemary, onion powder and paprika.  Stream in the tablespoon of evoo while whisking vigorously.  Pour butter/oil mixture over the potatoes and toss until all potatoes are coated.  Place potatoes on the bottom rack in the oven and set timer for 40 minutes.

For the fish, place fillets onto the other, lightly greased baking sheet.  Then, prepare the butter/oil mixture the same way as the potatoes: melt butter in the microwave, add in seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika) and stream in oil while whisking vigorously.  Brush a generous amount of the butter mixture (about half) over the fish.  Then toss the panko bread crumbs in with the remaining oil.  Add in the chopped, fresh herbs and mix together.  Lastly, sprinkle seasoned bread crumbs over the filets to create a thin, even layer on top and place pan on the top rack in the oven. 

Now would be a good time to give the potatoes a quick toss.  The salmon needs to cook for 20 minutes but check it halfway through.  If the bread crumbs seem to be getting a little too golden, just swap them with the potatoes for the last 10 minutes of cooking.

Serve potatoes and salmon fresh from the oven with your favorite “house” salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment